There are thousands of addiction treatment centers across the country, and each is committed to helping its clients begin their recovery journey. However, unfortunately, some of these treatment centers only treat the physical effects of addiction. While this is definitely a valuable and necessary service, if the psychological effects of addiction aren’t addressed as well, the likelihood of relapse skyrockets. That’s why holistic therapy is such a crucial tool in the fight to overcome addiction.
At New Horizons Recovery, our team not only provides a variety of addiction treatment programs, but we also are proud to provide holistic treatment for mental health. Our therapy programs in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania help people to enhance their mental health and give them the inner strength to face their addiction. If you’re interested in learning more about holistic therapy, our New Horizons Recovery team is standing by to answer any questions you might have. Contact us online or call us at 267.435.3134 for more information.
What Is Holistic Therapy?
Holistic therapy’s focus is on treating the whole person. In other words, holistic therapy activities are used to enhance both the mental health and physical health and support the effort to recover from addiction. Therapists can use many activities in a holistic therapy program.
Typical holistic therapy options can include:
- Yoga – Yoga not only improves a person’s flexibility but also helps to calm the mind.
- Acupuncture – Acupuncture has been used for thousands of years and has been shown to also ease withdrawal symptoms.
- Meditation – This practice uses breathing techniques and visualization to help people focus.
- Art therapy – Art therapy helps people to communicate feelings non-verbally and increases creativity.
- Music therapy – In a similar way to art therapy, music can help people express how they are feeling and can help them discover deep emotions.
- Recreational therapy – Physical activities such as hiking, swimming, or biking allow people to improve their fitness and accomplish goals.
What Are Some Benefits of Holistic Therapy?
Our New Horizons Recovery team recognizes the many benefits of holistic therapy.
Some of these benefits are:
- Relapse prevention – Perhaps the most critical benefit of holistic therapy is that it gives people a better chance of long-lasting recovery. A sense of purpose gives people a reason to stick to their recovery plan and maintain the lessons learned in addiction treatment.
- Improved overall health – The combination of addiction treatment and holistic therapy improves mental and physical health. Simply put, when people feel good, they are more likely to continue a pattern of behavior.
- Coping methods – Stress in life is inevitable, so learning how to deal with it healthily is crucial to happiness. The activities that people enjoy in holistic therapy give them outlets to deal with stress without drug or alcohol use.
- Enhanced self-confidence – Holistic therapy helps people set and achieve goals, which increases not only their self-confidence but their self-esteem as well. Also, holistic therapy helps people reconnect with their true selves, not the people they were while under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
- A spiritual connection – Activities such as meditation also help people feel more intertwined with a spiritual power. This connection decreases the isolation that often accompanies addiction.
Begin to Heal with Holistic Therapy at New Horizons Recovery
Our New Horizons Recovery team is dedicated to giving people the tools they need to feel empowered and leave their addiction behind. Recovery can be a difficult road, but with the support and encouragement of our team, it is possible to heal from the mental and physical effects of drug and alcohol use. Reach out to New Horizons Recovery online or at 267.435.3134 today to find out more about our programs and services.