Drug and alcohol use negatively affects many parts of a person’s life, especially when it comes to mental health. Countless studies have shown the damaging effects of addiction on the mental well-being of people. That’s why it’s crucial for people stuck in the endless drug and alcohol use cycle to contact professionals who specialize in counseling for addiction and enroll in a treatment program that includes therapy.
If this sounds like you or someone you care about, New Horizons Recovery can help. We provide a number of behavioral therapy programs in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania that also focus on addiction treatment. One of our therapy programs is known as motivational interviewing. For more information about motivational interviewing for addiction, contact our New Horizons Recovery online or call us at 267.435.3134.
What Is Motivational Interviewing?
Motivational interviewing was developed by Dr. William Miller and Dr. Stephen Rollnick specifically to help people find the inner strength to overcome addiction. Instead of shaming people who use drugs or alcohol, motivational interviewing aims to help people understand why they use substances and why they need to get help. A lack of motivation is one of the most significant obstacles for many people in seeking professional assistance for their addiction. So, motivational interviewing encourages people to embrace their recovery and commit themselves to the process.
One of the reasons that many addiction treatment centers use motivational interviewing is that it is a relatively easy method to implement. There are four pillars of motivational interviewing, which are:
- Engaging – The purpose of engaging is to establish a positive and trusting relationship between the therapist and client. Also, it is essential that the client and therapist relationship is mutually respectful. Once this relationship is solidified, then healing can begin.
- Focusing – Focusing helps the client determine exactly what their issues are, set goals, and create a plan to achieve their goals. This aspect of motivational interviewing takes time and may occur only after weeks or months.
- Evoking – The reason for the evoking stage involves finding the deep-rooted causes that the client wants to change how they live their lives. Then, the therapist’s role is to help the client maintain their focus and encourage them to stick to the plan.
- Planning – Perhaps the most important pillar is planning. Planning is when the client learns healthy coping strategies to help them avoid triggers that will make them relapse into old behavior patterns.
Benefits of Motivational Interviewing
People who have used motivational interviewing as part of their addiction treatment plan often experience the benefits of this practice almost immediately after beginning.
Some of these benefits are:
- Reduces the risk of relapse
- Teaches a person to take responsibility for their drug and alcohol use
- Increases a person’s ability to trust and confide in others
- Enhances a person’s self-confidence and self-esteem
- Shows a person in recovery that they can improve their quality of life
- Demonstrates that living without addiction can be joyful and positive
Additional Therapy Options at New Horizons Recovery
Suppose motivational interviewing doesn’t seem like it’s a good fit for you. In that case, our New Horizons Recovery team will work with you to determine which of our many other therapy programs would be best for your recovery.
Some of our additional therapy options include:
- ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy)
- Anxiety treatment
- CBT (cognitive-behavioral therapy)
- Depression treatment
- Dual diagnosis
- DBT (dialectical behavior therapy)
- Family therapy/counseling
- Group therapy
- Life skills training
Consider Motivational Interviewing at New Horizons Recovery
Motivational interviewing has helped many people find genuine, long-lasting recovery, which might do the same for you or a loved one. Take the first step toward a drug and alcohol-free lifestyle by contacting New Horizons Recovery today either online or at 267.435.3134.