There are many ways for people to face addiction issues and begin their journey toward recovery. Perhaps the most famous is known as the 12-step approach. Popularized by the support group Alcoholics Anonymous, many people have found comfort and strength in a 12-step treatment program.
If you or someone you care about is interested in learning more about addiction treatment in a safe and supportive environment, New Horizons Recovery is ready to help. We proudly provide behavioral treatment programs in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania for people who want to make a positive change in their lives and begin feeling better physically and mentally. Learn more about 12-step treatment at New Horizons Recovery today by calling 267.435.3134 or reaching out to us online.
What Are the 12 Steps?
The 12 steps were created by the co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous, Bill Wilson, in 1938. Wilson recognized the need to codify the guiding principles of the organization, and the 12 steps have been used by millions of people around the world ever since.
The 12 steps are:
- We admitted we were powerless over alcohol and that our lives had become unmanageable.
- We came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
- We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
- We made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
- We admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
- We were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
- We humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
- We made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.
- We made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
- We continued to take personal inventory and, when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.
- We sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
- We had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps. We tried to carry this message to others and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
What Are Signs of Alcohol Addiction?
Although each person is unique, there are some common signs that indicate possible alcohol addiction.
Some of the signs of alcohol addiction are:
- Legal and financial issues due to alcohol use
- Isolation from friends and family
- Neglecting responsibilities to drink alcohol
- Sudden bursts of anger or mood swings
- Lack of personal hygiene
Making excuses to drink alcohol
If you recognize these signs in yourself or someone you care about, the best course of action is to reach out to a team of professionals, such as our team at New Horizons Recovery. We can work with you to determine if a 12-step approach might be the most effective program for you or a loved one.
Embrace Healing in a 12-Step Approach at New Horizons Recovery
The disease of addiction should be treated as just that, a disease. People who are dealing with the adverse effects of addiction often require the expertise of addiction treatment professionals to leave their alcohol use behind. At New Horizons Recovery in Pennsylvania, we are proud to help people embrace recovery. We strive to provide a place of healing for those who have suffered physical or psychological damage from alcohol use. Find out more about our 12-step approach or any of our other addiction treatment programs today by calling us at 267.435.3134 or filling out our convenient online form.